Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
School Library System | Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES | 1879 West Genesee Street Road | Auburn, NY 130211879 West Genesee Street Road ● Auburn, NY 13021
Friday, March 1, 2019. BOCES Conference Room 1.
School Librarians Present
Auburn Enlarged City School District
Cato-Meridian Central School District
Jordan-Elbridge Central School District
Moravia Central School District
Port Byron Central School District
Skaneateles Central School District
Southern Cayuga Central School District
Union Springs Central School District
Stephanie Berry (via teleconference)
Weedsport Central School District
SLS Council Meeting Minutes
Announcements and Discussions
- SLS Updates- SLS will be sending out weekly "SLS Updates" with information about new products and services, trials, professional development opportunities, and other items of interest to school librarians and school administrators.
- Tentative calendar for 2019-2020- We looked at next year's annual calendar to identify dates of tentative professional development opportunities. We also discussed potential SLS Council meeting dates. Initial dates suggested by SLMS were:1st meeting- week of 9/23, 2nd meeting- week of 12/2, 3rd meeting- week of 3/2, 4th meeting- late April or mid-May. SLMS discussed Fridays and Mondays were difficult to meet, initial plans are for mid-week meetings next year. We will revisit these dates at our next meeting.
- Criteria for spending funds for conferences- We discussed the general criteria for funding conferences and expectations of SLMS receiving conference funding.
- Professional eBook Library- We had a preview of the new PD ebook collection.
SLS Services and Resources- What Can I Do Better?
- We discussed specific resources and services to identify if SLMS still found these to be valuable and to identify ways SLS can improve these items.
- We discussed library catalogs, the library records, and patron records to discover ways SLS can improve these items. SLS is moving forward to test an Opals-SchoolTool integration to maintain patron records. If this test is successful, SLS will work to integrate other Opals catalogs.
- SLS discussed the purpose of site visits and how these will be arraigned, communications with SLMS, and CoSer orders for 2019-2020 (due at the end of March). SLS asked if the current, full-day structure of the Council meetings. It was decided that it continues to meet the needs of SLMS and SLS has made more time available for the sharing of best practices.
- Upcoming PD opportunities were announced.
Andrew Dutcher, School Library System Coordinator