Item 1: Welcome, Introductions, and thank yous.
Item 2: News and Updates
Seymour Library Jill shared with us information about resources, programming and events available at the Seymour Library. Here's a copy of their Children's Room Newsletter for May 2017. The library newsletter is available on their website.
Cayuga Community College Library Judy was unable to attend our meeting today.
South Central Regional Library Council Julia shared information about the resources and services available through the SCRLC, She discussed their upcoming events and indicated that we were welcome to participate in these activities. She shared with us information about their Teaching with Primary Sources Grant Participation Opportunity for social studies teachers and school librarian pairs. Also told us about the availability of BARC for touch ILL requests.
SED and State Library
Item 3: Old Business
Database orders for 2017-2018
- Thank you for getting these to SLS. We will be reviewing them before the end of June so that these may be purchased for you over the summer.
Marshall Cavendish eBooks (now known as ePointPlus)
- All nonfiction titles have now been migrated over to ePointPlus.
- Fiction titles had been sold to Amazon prior to Rosen purchasing the nonfiction titles. Fortunately we only lost 12 titles.
- We are currently waiting for new MARC records.
Recent workshops included:
- Using LibGuides to Promote Library Programs (March)
- Jennifer LaGarde (April 4)
- Kathleen Odean (March 14- canceled and rescheduled for May 18)
Library Catalog Needs
Visits to School Libraries
- The SLS Coordinator has been able to visit with most SLMS to date and he anticipates getting to the rest later this Spring.
- The SLS Coordinator has enjoyed meeting with everyone to see their libraries and to learn about their programs. This information will be used so that the SLS can better meet everyone's needs.
Item 4: New Business
Recognizing a Retiree
- Sharon O'Connell is retiring from Skaneateles Middle School and she was recognized for her service to her school and the BOCES community.
Understanding BOCES Finances (discussion lead by Tony Abbatiello)
- Tony discussed the idea of BOCES COSERS and the COSERS of Instructional Support Services (ISS) which also includes library services.
- Tony discussed our (ISS) practice is to be responsive to the needs of our component school districts and to be transparent in our decision making with district funds.
Schools Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Last day to request items: June 1, 2017
- All items due back: June 15, 2017.
- Instructions for ILL can be found on the LibGuide
SLS Resources Online
- Information about the services and resources provided by SLS on the SLS LibGuide
- SLS Coordinator talked about the new Library Resources Management System (LRMS) that is currently being developed for us by OCM BOCES. This system will provide SLMS with information about their online database purchases and it will streamline the purchasing process in the future.
- Part of the LRMS is SLS Directory. SLMS will be able to easily update their directory information as needed.
Grants to Member Libraries for 2017-2018
- One proposal was received for next year and the SLS Coordinator will forward this information onto BOCES for final approval.
- Please contact SLS if you have any questions or ideas you wish to explore.
Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities for 2017-2018
- Kathleen Odean (May 18)
- Future Ready Librarians: YOU Lead the Way! 2017 NYLA/SSL Carol A. Kearney Leadership Institute (August 3-4, 2017)
- 2017 Greater Central New York School Library System Conference (Fall, 2017)
SLS Committees for 2017-2018
- Axis 360 Collection Development Committee- SLS Coordinator would like to get a committee together to look at out Axis 360 Collection. Specially to look usage reports, items available, and to make recommendations about how we can promote it. Susan Cutri and Missy Beyel volunteered, others are welcome to volunteer, too
- SLS Sunshine Committee- SLS Coordinator would like to pull together a SLMS sunshine committee. Loretta Johnson and Anne Mlod volunteered.
- Updated apps address connectivity issues.
- Baker & Taylor is integrating into Titlewave.
- Satellite accounts currently available, others can be setup.
Movie Licensing USA
- Movie Licensing USA represents movie studios, not streaming media services (e.g.: Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
- If you wish to use a movie from a streaming media services, verify that the movie studio is represented by Movie Licensing USA.
Gathering feedback on our makerspace devices, Kindles, Virtual Field Trips, and SNAP Media.
Item 5: Discussion
- Book checkout and falling circulation statistics- have students stopped reading for fun? Loretta discussed seeing this trend in her school library and her concern about it. Other SLMS have seen similar trends and share her concern. Julia Corrice shared that public librarians are also concerned about this topic in their communities. We will continue to explore this topic.
- Purchasing Axis 360 ebooks for our collection(s). SLS continues to support literacy instruction in the classrooms through both the class sets and audiobooks Axis 360 portal and the ebook reader lending program for teachers. While this has been very well received, we have done much with other satellite accounts. The SLS Coordinator would like to look at this service to see how we can take it to the next level. We will continue to explore this topic.
Item 6: Future Items to Explore
Staying current in the field- how do you do it? A discussion on the importance of professional associations.